Sunday, March 15, 2009

Muncang

I still remeber years ago, when I was child, my relatives and villagers came together for my elder sister wedding. One month before the wedding day we were all busy; the women folk were making cookies, weaving the rombia leaves ( roof ) and the men folk were building the 'hall' for guests. Those days, we would get the materials for setting up the 'hall ' in the nearby forest. The people would gather for lunch. This was the time you would hear laugh, rumours and old stories. The co-operation among the villagers made the works lighter, strengthen the ties too. I knew everyone in my village, I like to be part of muncang. I like the idea of many people work together, muncang, as it would promote unity. During the wedding day, every body become the waiters and waitresses, serving the guests.

Secondly, my villager would engage with muncang during the paddy harvest season. My mother unable to harvest the paddy alone, we were 'underage'. The villagers would help to harvest the paddy. The relatives were there too. The harvest would last for few days, it might took weeks if there were no helpers. The villagers and relatives would be given a sack of paddy, this would make them happy. The tradition continues, the muncang. Having lunch together in the middle of paddy field ( in a hut ) was unforgettable moments. The rice ( just harvested; processed traditionally, lesung), dried fish and vegetables made me hungry; now.

Today, when there were wedding reception, the host prefer to have rented tent and catering. The spirit of muncang fade as time goes by; modernisation. I treasured my childhood as Bisaya, I hope I can share this with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment